Holiday Card from President and Mrs. Johnson, 1968
White House Calligraphy Office
This is the illustrated side of a holiday card that was presented to White House Executive Chef Henry Haller from First Lady Lady Bird Johnson and President Lyndon B. Johnson in December 1968. The card features an illustration by Robert Laessig of the South Grounds as seen from the South Portico, with the Jefferson Monument and Washington Monument visible in the distance. The card includes a note from the presidential couple, declaring "appreciation" and "warmest wishes" for "all the years ahead." The Johnson's 1968 holiday card marked both the passing of the holiday season as well as the end of the Johnson administration, with the inauguration of President Richard M. Nixon the following month. To see the full card, see 1128399.
This card is part of a personal collection belonging to Chef Haller. In the position, Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests from 1966-1987.
This photograph presents a south view of the White House as it appeared during the mid-20th century, circa 1966-1987. The South Fountain is prominently featured. This photograph is part of a collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller was executive chef at the White House for over 20 years, and served every president from Lyndon B. Johnson through Ronald Reagan.
This photograph presenting a north view of the White House and the North Drive was taken in the mid-20th century, circa 1966-1987. This photograph is a part of a personal collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller, who served presidents Lyndon B. Johnson through Ronald Reagan.
This photograph, taken around May 1, 1969, presents a south view of the White House as seen from the South Fountain. A colorful array of tulips bloom around the South Fountain. This photograph is part of a collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller served as executive chef at the White House from 1966-1987.
This is the unfolded internal page of a program created for a public White House gardens and grounds tour during the administration of President Jimmy Carter (1977-1981). The program includes a greeting from First Lady Rosalynn Carter, a map of the South Grounds including sites of presidential tree plantings, and information about the history of the gardens and their uses. Before the late-19th century, private citizens wandered the White House South Grounds like a public park, but by the Calvin Coolidge administration (1923-1929), the grounds were closed to the public due to security and privacy concerns. However, just as First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy opened the White House to the public with controlled public tours, in 1972 First Lady Pat Nixon established the tradition of hosting White House garden tours. During the anticipated event, which expanded to being held two weekends a year, lucky members of the public have a chance to view the first family's private gardens. To view the complete program, see 1127095.
This program is part of a personal collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests as executive chef of the White House from 1966-1987.