Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

  • Arrival Ceremony for President Pompidou of France
    Joseph J. Scherschel
    military
    State Visit
    South Lawn
    Head of State
    This photograph by Joseph J. Scherschel shows part of the arrival ceremony for President Georges Pompidou of France on February 24, 1970, whose visit occurred during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The two presidents can be seen on stage on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds. Pompidou's trip to the United States started on February 23, 1970 and ended on March 3, 1970. Prominent in the photograph are members of the military ceremonial guard who are present at arrival ceremonies.
  • Eisenhower and Khrushchev Take Helicopter Tour of Washington, D.C.
    Unknown
    State Visit
    Head of State
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    transportation
    This photograph of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Soviet Premier Nikita Sergeevich Khrushchev was taken on September 15, 1959. In the photograph, President Eisenhower and Khrushchev can be seen disembarking a presidential helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds following an impromptu aerial tour of Washington, D.C. During the helicopter tour, the two flew over the National Mall, the monuments, and the local suburbs of Washington, D.C. Khrushchev's 12 day visit to the United States included visits to New York City, Hyde Park to pay respects to former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Los Angeles, San Francisco, corn farms in Iowa, Pittsburgh, Camp David, and Eisenhower’s farm at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
  • Dinner in Honor of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
    Joseph J. Scherschel
    event
    White House Guests
    State Floor
    Entrance Hall
    entertainment
    music
    In this photograph, guests dance and mingle in the Entrance Hall following a dinner held in honor of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor on April 4, 1970. President Richard M. Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon hosted the formal dinner in the State Dining Room, that included after-dinner entertainment in the East Room by singer and pianist Bobby Short and singing troupe the Young Saints. In this photograph, Julie Nixon Eisenhower can be seen near the North Door, speaking with her parents' dinner guests.
  • Dinner in Honor of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
    Joseph J. Scherschel
    event
    White House Guests
    State Floor
    Entrance Hall
    press
    In this photograph, taken by Joseph J. Scherschel of National Geographic on April 4, 1970, members of the press, including Helen Thomas at right, gather around a Steinway piano in the Entrance Hall during a dinner hosted by President Richard M. Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon in honor of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. The grand piano was gifted to President Franklin D. Roosevelt at a ceremony on December 10, 1938 on behalf of the Steinway family. The 300,000th Steinway piano, it was built to replace another Steinway which had been given to the White House in 1903. Visible on the wall behind the guests is the official portrait of President Grover Cleveland, who served two non-consecutive terms as president from from 1885-1889, then from 1893-1897. The oil on canvas portrait was painted by Eastman Johnson in 1891.
  • Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps Perform for Queen Elizabeth II
    Joseph H. Bailey
    music
    military
    State Visit
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    Head of State
    Arrival Ceremony
    This photograph of President George H. W. Bush and Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain watching the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps perform on the South Lawn was taken by Joseph H. Bailey on May 14, 1991 during an Arrival Ceremony held in The Queen's honor. On the right side of the reviewing stand are Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and First Lady Barbara Bush. The Bushes also honored her visit with a State Dinner in the evening. Queen Elizabeth's visit was the start of a 13 day tour of the United States.
  • Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps Perform for Queen Elizabeth II
    Joseph H. Bailey
    music
    military
    State Visit
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    Head of State
    Arrival Ceremony
    This photograph of President George H. W. Bush and Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain watching the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps perform on the South Lawn was taken by Joseph H. Bailey on May 14, 1991 during an Arrival Ceremony held in The Queen's honor. On the right side of the reviewing stand are Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and First Lady Barbara Bush. The Bushes also honored her visit with a State Dinner in the evening. Queen Elizabeth's visit was the start of a 13 day tour of the United States.
  • Pat Nixon Holds Press Preview of Blue Room Refurbishment
    Unknown
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    refurbishment
    renovation
    This film features clips from First Lady Pat Nixon's afternoon press conference to mark the official reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by Mrs. Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. To see the full film, please see asset 1123268.
  • Craftsmen Hang Wallpaper during 1972 Blue Room Refurbishment
    Unknown
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    refurbishment
    renovation
    This film features clips of craftsmen preparing and adhering wallpaper to the Blue Room's walls during the 1972 refurbishment of the Blue Room. The Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972 during the renovation and was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. To see the full film, please see asset 1123268.
  • Blue Room, Nixon Administration
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Blue Room
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This photograph shows the Blue Room of the White House as it appeared following a renovation project by First Lady Pat Nixon in 1972. Mrs. Nixon was assisted by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.
  • Gift Exchange Between President Bush and Queen Elizabeth II
    Joseph H. Bailey
    State Visit
    Head of State
    Rose Garden
    South Grounds
    This photograph was taken at the gift exchange between President George H. W. Bush and Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain on May 14, 1991 in the Rose Garden of the White House. Queen Elizabeth presented President Bush with a set of silver-plated horseshoes and a leather bound version of "America Is Lost," a copy of the essay written in 1782 by King George III analyzing the causes and the effects of the American Revolution. President and First Lady Barbara Bush gifted Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, a Steuben crystal flower bowl engraved with quotations from William Shakespeare and a framed print of an 1878 newspaper illustration depicting four horses pulling a carriage through Newark. The Bushes also honored The Queen with an Arrival Ceremony earlier in the day and a State Dinner in the evening. The Queen's visit was the start of a 13 day tour of the United States.
  • Planting of the Queen Elizabeth II Little-Leaf Linden Tree
    Joseph H. Bailey
    tree planting
    State Visit
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    Head of State
    press
    This photograph of press gathered at the little-leaf linden tree planting ceremony was taken by Joseph H. Bailey on May 14, 1991. The tree was planted by Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and President George H. W. Bush on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds to replace one that was felled by a storm. The original was planted in 1937 in order to honor the ascension of King George VI, Queen Elizabeth's father, to the throne. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and First Lady Barbara Bush were also present at the ceremony. The Bushes honored Queen Elizabeth with an Arrival Ceremony earlier in the day and a State Dinner in the evening. Queen Elizabeth's visit was the start of a 13 day tour of the United States.
  • Gift Exchange Between President Bush and Queen Elizabeth II
    Joseph H. Bailey
    State Visit
    Head of State
    Rose Garden
    South Grounds
    This photograph was taken at the gift exchange between President George H. W. Bush and Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain on May 14, 1991 in the Rose Garden of the White House. Queen Elizabeth presented President Bush with a set of silver-plated horseshoes and a leather bound version of "America Is Lost," a copy of the essay written in 1782 by King George III analyzing the causes and the effects of the American Revolution. President and First Lady Barbara Bush gifted Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, a Steuben crystal flower bowl engraved with quotations from William Shakespeare and a framed print of an 1878 newspaper illustration depicting four horses pulling a carriage through Newark. The Bushes also honored The Queen with an Arrival Ceremony earlier in the day and a State Dinner in the evening. The Queen's visit was the start of a 13 day tour of the United States.
  • The Nixons and McMahons at Australian State Dinner
    Jack E. Kightlinger
    State Floor
    State Dinner
    Head of State
    East Room
    State Visit
    This photograph is of First Lady Pat Nixon and Sonia McMahon, wife of Australian Prime Minister William McMahon greeting guests in a receiving line in the East Room prior to the State Dinner on November 2, 1971. Mrs. Nixon can be seen shaking the hand of Vice President Spiro Agnew. Second Lady Judy Agnew follows behind him.
  • President Nixon Welcomes Prime Minister McMachon
    Jack E. Kightlinger
    State Visit
    State Dinner
    Head of State
    North Portico
    This photograph is of President Richard Nixon escorting Australian Prime Minister William McMahon and his wife Sonia McMahon up the steps of the North Portico upon their arrival at the White House prior to the state dinner in their honor. The McMahons' state dinner was held on November 2, 1971.
  • The Nixons and McMahons in the East Room
    Jack E. Kightlinger
    State Visit
    State Dinner
    Head of State
    East Room
    State Floor
    This photograph is of President Richard M. Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon posing for a picture in the East Room of the White House with Australian Prime Minister William McMahon, his wife Sonia McMahon, and Metropolitan Opera tenor Richard Tucker. Tucker was the evening's entertainment following state dinner held in the McMahons' honor on November 2, 1971.
  • Eggatha at the Egg Hunt, 1982 Easter Egg Roll
    Dave Johnson
    holidays
    children
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    Easter Egg Roll
    In this photograph, taken by National Geographic photographer Dave Johnson on April 12, 1982, "Eggatha," a costumed character, helps out in the straw-covered pen during the egg hunt held as part of the White House Easter Egg Roll. At the egg hunt, children discovered approximately 8,000 souvenir eggs. President Reagan had introduced souvenir wooden eggs to White House Easter egg hunts a year earlier. They have since become an anticipated keepsake.
  • The 1982 White House Easter Egg Roll
    Dave Johnson
    holidays
    children
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    Easter Egg Roll
    In this photograph, taken by National Geographic photographer Dave Johnson on April 12, 1982, a child participates in an Easter egg rolling contest during the White House Easter Egg Roll. While egg rolling games have been part of the White House Easter Egg Roll since it was first held in 1878, egg roll racing was added to the event in 1974 by First Lady Pat Nixon.
  • Paintings in the White House Collection in the Blue Room (Page 16 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of the document describing the paintings from the White House Collection on display following the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 16 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • 1972 Blue Room Refurbishment and Receptions
    Unknown
    refurbishment
    renovation
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    This film collection features craftsmen preparing and adhering wallpaper to the Blue Room's walls and First Lady Pat Nixon's afternoon press conference to mark the official reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. The first part of the film featuring the craftsman is interspersed with footage of the South Grounds as seen from the Blue Room, as well as detail shots of the new plaster work on the ceiling. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by Mrs. Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room.
  • Location Changes of Portraits and Objects (Page 17 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document describes the location changes of portraits in the White House Collection and objects due to the 1972 renovation of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 17 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Files Pertaining the Blue Room Renovation (Full Document)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This compilation is made of files from the Office of Curator pertaining to the renovation, refurbishing, and reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room.
  • Paintings in the White House Collection in the Blue Room (Page 15 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of the document describing the paintings from the White House Collection that were on display following the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 15 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Items Moved to the Blue Room During Redecoration (Page 14 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of a document describing the items already in the White House Collection moved during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 14 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Items Moved to the Blue Room During Redecoration (Page 13 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of a document describing the items already in the White House Collection moved into the Blue Room during the 1972 redecoration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 23, 1972[,] to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 13 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 12 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the sixth page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 12 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.