Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

  • Paintings in the White House Collection in the Blue Room (Page 16 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of the document describing the paintings from the White House Collection on display following the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 16 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Location Changes of Portraits and Objects (Page 17 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document describes the location changes of portraits in the White House Collection and objects due to the 1972 renovation of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 17 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Files Pertaining the Blue Room Renovation (Full Document)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This compilation is made of files from the Office of Curator pertaining to the renovation, refurbishing, and reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room.
  • Paintings in the White House Collection in the Blue Room (Page 15 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of the document describing the paintings from the White House Collection that were on display following the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 15 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Items Moved to the Blue Room During Redecoration (Page 14 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of a document describing the items already in the White House Collection moved during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 14 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Items Moved to the Blue Room During Redecoration (Page 13 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of a document describing the items already in the White House Collection moved into the Blue Room during the 1972 redecoration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 23, 1972[,] to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 13 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 12 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the sixth page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 12 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 11 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the fifth page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 11 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 10 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the fourth page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 10 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 9 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the third page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 9 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 8 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of a document describing new acquisitions from the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 8 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • New Acquistions in the Blue Room (Page 7 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of a document describing new acquisitions for the White House Collection acquired during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 7 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Items Remaining in the Blue Room (Page 6 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This May 15, 1972 report describes the objects in the White House Collection that would remain in the newly redecorated Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 6 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Report on the Blue Room's History and Renovation (Page 5 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    inventory
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the last page of a report explaining the history of and describing the changes during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during ht Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 5 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Report on the Blue Room's History and Renovation (Page 4 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the second page of a report explaining the history of and describing the changes during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 4 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Persons Invited to the Blue Room Reception (Page 2 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document is the second page of the invitation list for the reception to celebrate the reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 2 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Report on the Blue Room's History and Renovation (Page 3 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This is the first page of a report explaining the history of and describing the changes during the 1972 redecoration of the Blue Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 3 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Persons Invited to the Blue Room Reception (Page 1 of 17)
    Office of the Curator
    Clement E. Conger
    Betty C. Monkman
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document is the first page of the invitation list for the reception to celebrate the reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 1 of 17. To see the full text, please refer to 1123238 in the Digital Library.
  • Materials Related to Blue Room Reopening, May 15, 1972
    Deborah M. Sloan
    Clement E. Conger
    Office of the First Lady of the United States
    Craig S. Campbell
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This compilation of documents is from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception marking the re-opening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972 to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room.
  • Blue Room Renovation Project Donor List (Page 5 of 13)
    Office of the First Lady of the United States
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document regarding the press preview for the re-opening of the Blue Room was sent by the Office of the First Lady of the United States on May 12, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. It lists major donors for the Blue Room renovation project, who were photographed in designated rooms in the White House following the press preview in the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation, the Blue Room was closed from February 19 to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 5 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254. Please see 1123262 for the second page of the donor list.
  • Blue Room Re-Opening Press Preview Schedule (Page 12 of 13)
    Office of the First Lady of the United States
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document lists the anticipated schedule for a press preview for the re-opening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972 following a major renovation project. The schedule details First Lady Pat Nixon's expected activities. Please see 1123257 for the first page of the her schedule. During the renovation, the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 12 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254.
  • Blue Room Re-Opening Press Preview Schedule (Page 11 of 13)
    Office of the First Lady of the United States
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document lists the anticipated schedule for a press preview for the re-opening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972 following a major renovation project. The schedule lists individuals present at the event and details First Lady Pat Nixon's expected activities. Please see 1123258 for the second page of the schedule. During the renovation, the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by Mrs. Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 11 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254.
  • Instructions for Social Aides, Blue Room Re-Opening (Page 13 of 13)
    Craig S. Campbell
    renovation
    refurbishment
    document
    military
    This document outlines instructions for White House social aides for a reception held on the evening of May 15, 1972, to celebrate the completion of a major renovation project for the Blue Room of the White House. White House social aides are active members of the military, responsible for assisting with events at the White House. The instructions were submitted by Commander Craig S. Campbell of the United States Navy. The document includes a list of social aides assigned to the event. During the renovation, the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972, during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 13 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254.
  • Memo from Clement Conger to Pat Nixon (Page 8 of 13)
    Clement E. Conger
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This document is a memorandum from White House Curator Clement E. Conger to First Lady Pat Nixon regarding attendees to the reception for the reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. Conger informed Mrs. Nixon that Odolph Blaylock, an accomplished master joiner who supervised the installation of woodwork in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms of the State Department and wife would attending. In addition, Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia, who completed the new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling of the Blue Room, would also be attending the evening reception. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 8 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254.
  • President Nixon's Blue Room Reception Schedule (Page 10 of 13)
    Deborah M. Sloan
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This schedule for President Richard M. Nixon was prepared by Deborah M. Sloan, wife of staff assistant to the president Hugh Sloan, for the evening of May 15, 1972. It outlines President Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon's anticipated activities for a reception celebrating the re-opening of the Blue Room following a major renovation project. Please see 1123261 for page one of the schedule. During the renovation, the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. The Blue Room's renovation was part a of larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. This document is page 10 of 13 from a compilation of files from the Office of the First Lady of the United States pertaining to the press preview and reception. For the full document, please see 1123254.