Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

  • Holiday Card from President and Mrs. Johnson, 1968
    White House Calligraphy Office
    south view
    print
    holidays
    South Lawn
    Christmas
    Washington Monument
    Jefferson Memorial
    This is the illustrated side of a holiday card that was presented to White House Executive Chef Henry Haller from First Lady Lady Bird Johnson and President Lyndon B. Johnson in December 1968. The card features an illustration by Robert Laessig of the South Grounds as seen from the South Portico, with the Jefferson Monument and Washington Monument visible in the distance. The card includes a note from the presidential couple, declaring "appreciation" and "warmest wishes" for "all the years ahead." The Johnson's 1968 holiday card marked both the passing of the holiday season as well as the end of the Johnson administration, with the inauguration of President Richard M. Nixon the following month. To see the full card, see 1128399. This card is part of a personal collection belonging to Chef Haller. In the position, Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests from 1966-1987.
  • Holiday Card from President and Mrs. Johnson, 1967
    White House Calligraphy Office
    Christmas
    holidays
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    print
    This is the interior of a Christmas card that was presented to White House Executive Chef Henry Haller from First Lady Lady Bird Johnson and President Lyndon B. Johnson in December 1967. This was Haller's second Christmas at the White House, though he was to remain executive chef until 1987. The card features an illustration by Robert Laessig of the official White House Christmas tree, positioned in its traditional spot in the center of the Blue Room. The back of the card discusses the tradition of Christmas trees in the White House. To view the card in its entirety, see 1128401. This card is part of a personal collection belonging to Chef Haller. In the position, Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests from 1966-1987.
  • Holiday Card from President and Mrs. Johnson, 1966
    White House Calligraphy Office
    Christmas
    North Drive
    North Portico
    holidays
    north view
    print
    North Grounds
    This Christmas card was presented to White House Executive Chef Henry Haller from First Lady Lady Bird Johnson and President Lyndon B. Johnson in December 1966. This was Haller's first Christmas at the White House, though he was to remain as executive chef until 1987. The card features an illustration by Robert Laessig of the North Portico, festively decorated for the holidays. The opposite side of the card includes a description of the American Elm tree featured in the illustration, which was planted by President Woodrow Wilson in December 1913. To view the card in its entirety, see 1128398. This card is part of a personal collection belonging to Chef Haller. In the position, Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests from 1966-1987.
  • The Flag of the President
    Arthur E. Dubois
    flag
    This presidential flag was a new design ordered from Arthur E. DuBois and George M. Elsey by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was a sample submitted for President Harry Truman's approval in August 1945. This flag was first publicly flown on October 27, 1945 when the aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt was commissioned at Brooklyn Navy Yard. The flag presently remains the same except for the addition of two stars to represent Alaska and Hawaii. Although this is the flag of the president's arms, since it lacks the words around the edge, the flag is not a representation of the official Seal of the President. This photograph was taken by William Phillips.
  • Close Up, East Room Crèche
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Close Up, East Room Crèche
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Crèche on Display in the East Room
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Crèche on Display in the East Room
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Crèche on Display in the East Room
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Crèche on Display in the East Room
    Otis Imboden
    holidays
    State Floor
    East Room
    Christmas
    creche
    This photograph, taken in December 1971, shows the 18th century crèche (or nativity scene) on display in the East Room during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The crèche was donated to the White House Collection by Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard, Jr. of Far Hills, New Jersey in 1967. The donation included 39 hand-painted figurines. The 14 foot tall crèche setting display was built by Tony Award-winning stage designer Donald Oenslager, with mechanisms for annual disassembly.
  • Mirrored Wall Sconce, Greeen Room
    Samuel McIntire
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This mahogany mirrored wall sconce was likely created by American craftsman Samuel McIntire around 1800. McIntire is attributed with creating this sconce, and it's twin, due to the skilled craftsmanship and design. The sconce is seen here on the west wall of the Green Room, in a photograph by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes in January 1972, during the administration of Richard M. Nixon.
  • Mirrored Wall Sconce, Greeen Room
    Samuel McIntire
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This mahogany mirrored wall sconce was likely created by American craftsman Samuel McIntire around 1800. McIntire is attributed with creating this sconce, and it's twin, due to the skilled craftsmanship and design. The sconce is seen here on the west wall of the Green Room, in a photograph by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes in January 1972, during the administration of Richard M. Nixon.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • Study for the Portrait of President Millard Fillmore
    G. P. A. Healy
    portrait
    This charcoal and chalk on paper study of President Millard Fillmore's was created by George Peter Alexander Healy, sometimes known as G. P. A. Healy, on December 12, 1857. Healy used this study for the official portrait of President Fillmore in the White House Collection. Healy was one of the most popular and prolific portraitists of the mid-19th century. Fillmore had served in the House of Representatives and was vice president when President Zachary Taylor died suddenly while in office in 1850. Fillmore served as president from July 9, 1850 until March 4, 1853.
  • Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe
    Charles Willson Peale
    portrait
    This portrait by Charles Willson Peale is of architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. President Thomas Jefferson appointed Latrobe Surveyor of Public Buildings in 1803. Latrobe is best known as the architect who designed the U.S. Capitol, St. John's Church and Decatur House in Lafayette Square, the White House East and West Terraces, and the Madison state rooms. He was also the chief engineer for the U.S. Navy. Peale was a soldier and inventor as well as an artist and created many portraits of Revolutionary War era figures. His younger brother, James, and his son Rubens, each have pieces in the White House Collection. Joseph H. Bailey photographed the portrait for the White House Historical Association's records and publications in January 1975.
  • Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe
    Charles Willson Peale
    portrait
    This portrait by Charles Willson Peale is of architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. President Thomas Jefferson appointed Latrobe Surveyor of Public Buildings in 1803. Latrobe is best known as the architect who designed the U.S. Capitol, St. John's Church and Decatur House in Lafayette Square, the White House East and West Terraces, and the Madison state rooms. He was also the chief engineer for the U.S. Navy. Peale was a soldier and inventor as well as an artist and created many portraits of Revolutionary War era figures. His younger brother, James, and his son Rubens, each have pieces in the White House Collection. Joseph H. Bailey photographed the portrait for the White House Historical Association's records and publications in January 1975.
  • Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe
    Charles Willson Peale
    portrait
    This portrait by Charles Willson Peale is of architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. President Thomas Jefferson appointed Latrobe Surveyor of Public Buildings in 1803. Latrobe is best known as the architect who designed the U.S. Capitol, St. John's Church and Decatur House in Lafayette Square, the White House East and West Terraces, and the Madison state rooms. He was also the chief engineer for the U.S. Navy. Peale was a soldier and inventor as well as an artist and created many portraits of Revolutionary War era figures. His younger brother, James, and his son Rubens, each have pieces in the White House Collection. Joseph H. Bailey photographed the portrait for the White House Historical Association's records and publications in January 1975.
  • Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe
    Charles Willson Peale
    portrait
    This portrait by Charles Willson Peale is of architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. President Thomas Jefferson appointed Latrobe Surveyor of Public Buildings in 1803. Latrobe is best known as the architect who designed the U.S. Capitol, St. John's Church and Decatur House in Lafayette Square, the White House East and West Terraces, and the Madison state rooms. He was also the chief engineer for the U.S. Navy. Peale was a soldier and inventor as well as an artist and created many portraits of Revolutionary War era figures. His younger brother, James, and his son Rubens, each have pieces in the White House Collection. Joseph H. Bailey photographed the portrait for the White House Historical Association's records and publications in January 1975.