This photograph of the private Family Kitchen on the Second Floor of the White House was taken in the mid-20th century, circa 1966-1987. Unlike the formal kitchen on the Ground Floor, where the White House Kitchen staff prepares elaborate meals for first families and their distinguished guests, the Family Kitchen offers a space for White House residents to prepare meals for themselves. The Family Kitchen gave President Jimmy Carter a private space to prepare his morning cup of coffee when he awoke at around 5:30AM, and gave President Gerald R. Ford a place to toast his favorite breakfast of English muffins.
This photograph is part of a collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller served as executive chef of the White House from 1966-1987.
This photograph of the Red Room was likely taken circa 1962-1964, early into the administration of Lyndon B. Johnson. The Red Room is located on the State Floor of the Executive Mansion. The room was first decorated with red fabrics during the James K. Polk administration in 1845. The richly decorated room is filled with furnishings in the American “Empire” or “Grecian” style. The parlor has been used for intimate receptions, teas, and meetings.
This photograph is part of a collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller served as executive chef at the White House from 1966-1987.
This black-and-white photograph is a reprint of the Kitchen on the Ground Floor of the White House as it appeared during the administration of Theodore Roosevelt. In 1902, Roosevelt oversaw a significant remodeling project for the White House, including a re-configuring of the White House kitchens. Roosevelt unified the numerous basement kitchens into one large main kitchen and one everyday kitchen. The new kitchens featured white tile, nickel plate, and gloss white painted wall and floor finishes that gleamed. The larger of the remodeled kitchens, pictured in this photograph, was used to prepare meals for State functions, and equipped with four gas ovens and two hotel-size gas ranges.
This photograph is part of a collection belonging to former White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Haller served as executive chef at the White House from 1966-1987, catering to five first families and their distinguished guests.