This photograph of the west wall of the Green Room was taken in January 1972 during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. At the top of the wall is the 1767 London portrait of Benjamin Franklin painted by Scottish artist David Martin. It was the first significant work of art attained by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's Special Committee in 1962. Below this portrait hangs "Philadelphia in 1858", painted by Ferdinand Richardt. The left and right sides of this painting are surrounded by twin mahogany mirrored wall sconces. The Green Room is located on the State Floor of the Executive Mansion. It was the first room named after the color of its textiles and has Federal style furnishings. The elegant but relaxed parlor is used for small gatherings, interviews, and teas.
This photograph of the Grand Staircase was taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. The Grand Staircase connects the Second Floor and family quarters of the White House with the State Floor and Entrance Hall below. During official occasions such as State Dinners, the president descends the staircase with honored guests while the United States Marine Band plays "Hail to the Chief." There have been five Grand Staircases since the White House was built, including two located in this alcove. The first was built during the 1902 Theodore Roosevelt renovations. The second, seen here, during the Harry S. Truman renovations of 1948-1952. Truman took particular interest to redesign the staircase into the two long, descending sets of stairs.
This photograph shows the Blue Room of the White House as it appeared following a renovation project by First Lady Pat Nixon in 1972. Mrs. Nixon was assisted by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.