President Obama in the Rose Garden
This photograph of President Barack Obama walking near the Rose Garden was taken by Matthew D'Agostino on April 6, 2015. This photograph was taken during President Obama's appearance on the South Grounds for the White House Easter Egg Roll. The Rose Garden is located on the west side of the South Grounds, just outside the Oval Office. It has gone through several incarnations: a vegetable garden in the first part of the 19th century, a “colonial” garden in 1902, and then replaced with a rose garden in 1913. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy wanted to expand the garden for official functions and events. His idea became the Rose Garden, designed by horticulturist, gardener, and close friend of the Kennedys, Rachel Lambert "Bunny" Mellon. The garden was installed the following year, becoming a green theater for official ceremonies and a special place for the first family’s private enjoyment.