This photograph of burn marks on the White House stonework was taken by Erik Kvalsvik in 1990, during the George H. W. Bush administration. Following a two year report, the White House underwent a renovation that included the removal of approximately 30 layers of paint and took place over 25 years, from 1980 to 1996. This process revealed scarring beneath the paint, sustained when the British burned the White House during the War of 1812.
This detail photograph by Bruce White shows a portion of the window ornament on the North Portico. Carved acanthus leaves support the ledge and a portion of the Grecian chain is visible. The bottom of the foremost window is unpainted showing the Aquia Creek sandstone underneath.