Holiday Card from President and Mrs. Johnson, 1968
White House Calligraphy Office
This is the illustrated side of a holiday card that was presented to White House Executive Chef Henry Haller from First Lady Lady Bird Johnson and President Lyndon B. Johnson in December 1968. The card features an illustration by Robert Laessig of the South Grounds as seen from the South Portico, with the Jefferson Monument and Washington Monument visible in the distance. The card includes a note from the presidential couple, declaring "appreciation" and "warmest wishes" for "all the years ahead." The Johnson's 1968 holiday card marked both the passing of the holiday season as well as the end of the Johnson administration, with the inauguration of President Richard M. Nixon the following month. To see the full card, see 1128399.
This card is part of a personal collection belonging to Chef Haller. In the position, Haller served five first families and their distinguished guests from 1966-1987.
This drawing of the White House groin vaulting was done by artist Dahl Taylor. The groin vaulting and a support system of arches was originally constructed in the old basement of the Executive Mansion by stonemasons under the supervision of Collen Williamson and Jeremiah Kale. The original vaulting survived until the Harry S. Truman renovation from 1948-1952.
A Favorable Day: The White House Stables on the Day of Grant's Second Inauguration, 1873
This painting by Peter Waddell is titled "A Favorable Day: The White House Stables on the Day of Grant's Second Inauguration, 1873." It depicts the fourth and final White House Stable as it was initially built in 1871. Waddell painted this as a part of his "An Artist Visits the White House Past" series, commissioned by the White House Historical Association. ***Interior use only for publications***
This watercolor by artist George Munger depicts the burned-out shell of the White after it was destroyed by British troops on August 24, 1814. The painting shows the once elegant and imposing house standing alone in the landscape, a vivid reminder of the destruction and that the capital city was still in its infancy. A curious element of the work is the S-curved shape above the near corner of the roof. It is believed to be part of metallic conductor that encircled the roof that functioned as lighting protection system.