Aerial View of the White House, Reagan Administration
This aerial photograph of the South Grounds of the White House was taken in July 1982 by Dave Johnson during the administration of Ronald Reagan. This photograph captures the South Lawn and a glimpse of the fountain.
This photograph of the South Fountain was taken in July 1982 by Joseph H. Bailey during the administration of Ronald Reagan. Installed in the 1850s, the South Fountain was the first ornamental water fountain on the White House Grounds. However, it was constructed poorly and was replaced in 1876. In this photograph, the South Portico of the White House can be seen beyond the South Lawn.
This photograph was taken outside the entrance to the East Wing in March 1972 by David R. Bridge, during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. Built in 1942, during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, the East Wing originally housed wartime offices. President Roosevelt had intentions of eventually using the space as a museum for White House artifacts. Since the 1940s, the East Wing has also been used by first ladies, with First Lady Rosalynn Carter officially establishing the Office of the First Lady in 1977. This entrance, located directly across the driveway from the columns, leads to the East Wing Lobby and serves as the primary visitor entrance into the White House.