Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

  • China Room, John F. Kennedy Administration
    Unknown
    China Room
    Ground Floor
    This photograph is of the China Room as appeared before First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's refurbishment of the rooms in the White House. The China Room is located on the Ground Floor of the White House and has been used to display ceramics, glass, and other decorative arts since 1917. The pieces on display are a collection of items used in the White House by first families, including state china services commissioned during a presidency. Howard Chandler Christy's portrait of First Lady Grace Goodhue Coolidge was hung in the room in 1952. The image was taken on August 14, 1961 by a National Geographic staff photographer for the White Historical Association's 1962 publication of "The White House: A Historic Guide". The publication serves as a companion book for tours of the White House, providing history of the rooms, architecture, and furniture.
  • White House Usher Preston Bruce in the East Room
    Unknown
    staff
    State Floor
    East Room
    Residence staff
    mantels
    restoration
    refurbishment
    This photograph is of a White House usher Preston Bruce standing near a mantel in the East Room of the White House. As part of First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's restoration of White House rooms, the mantels were repainted to resemble white marble. The image was taken on August 14, 1961 by a National Geographic staff photographer for the White Historical Association's 1962 publication of "The White House: A Historic Guide". The publication serves as a companion book for tours of the White House, providing history of the rooms, architecture, and furniture.
  • China Room, John F. Kennedy Administration
    Unknown
    China Room
    Ground Floor
    This photograph is of the China Room as it appeared before First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's refurbishment of the rooms in the White House. The China Room is located on the Ground Floor of the White House and has been used to display ceramics, glass, and other decorative arts since 1917. The pieces on display are a collection of items used in the White House by first families, including state china services commissioned during a presidency. Howard Chandler Christy's portrait of First Lady Grace Goodhue Coolidge was hung in the room in 1952. The image was taken on August 14, 1961 by a National Geographic staff photographer for the White Historical Association's 1962 publication of "The White House: A Historic Guide". The publication serves as a companion book for tours of the White House, providing history of the rooms, architecture, and furniture.
  • White House Library, John F. Kennedy Administration
    Unknown
    Ground Floor
    Library
    This photograph is of the White House Library as it appeared before First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's refurbishment of the rooms in the White House. The Library is located on the Ground Floor of the White House. Although libraries have been a mainstay in the White House since the Millard Fillmore administration, it was not until 1935 that President Franklin D. Roosevelt formally designated a room for the library. The Library boasts thousands of books and the room occasionally serves as the backdrop for meetings, interviews, or televised speeches. The image was taken on August 14, 1961 by a National Geographic staff photographer for the White Historical Association's 1962 publication of "The White House: A Historic Guide". The publication serves as a companion book for tours of the White House, providing history of the rooms, architecture, and furniture.
  • The Great Seal of California, Decatur House
    Unknown
    Decatur House
    California
    Washington, D.C.
    This parquet flooring and wood representation of the great seal of California was installed in the Decatur House dining room between 1872 and 1874. It was part of several changes Edward Fitzgerald Beale and his wife, Mary Edwards Beale instituted after they purchased the property in 1871. The Beales were the last family to own Decatur House. Completed in 1818, Decatur House was the third building on Lafayette Square and its first private residence. It was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, the architect of the Capitol and several other famous buildings, for Commodore Stephen Decatur (1779-1820) and his wife, Susan Wheeler Decatur. Tragically, on March 22, 1820 Stephen Decatur was mortally wounded during a duel. After his death, his widow Susan Decatur rented out the house to foreign ministers and several secretaries of state. The house was eventually sold and passed through several hands, including the Gadsby family, the U.S. Subsistence Bureau, and the Beale family. Marie Ogle Beale, a society maven and the last owner left the house to National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1961. In 2010, the White House Historical Association and National Trust entered into a co-stewardship arrangement of Decatur House.
  • Presentation Sword, Decatur House Collection
    William Rose
    Unknown
    furnishings
    swords
    Decatur House
    This sword was presented to Commodore Stephen Decatur by the Commonwealth of Virginia following his capture of the Macedonia on October 25, 1812. The blade was created in Philadelphia by William Rose and features an ivory and parcel-gilt hilt topped with a cast eagle, silver gilt plate, and brass stripes on the edges, and inlaid with gold foliage and silver lettering. An inscription on the blade reads, “In testimony of the splendid naval talents and valor displayed by Commodore Stephen Decatur commanding the United States Frigate UNITED STATES in the capture of the English Frigate MACEDONIA 25th, October 1812.” This presentation sword is part of the collection at Decatur House. In 2010, the White House Historical Association and National Trust entered into co-stewardship arrangement and Decatur House now serves as the David M. Rubenstein National Center for White House History.
  • Sewing Table, Decatur House Collection
    Unknown
    furniture
    furnishings
    tables
    Decatur House
    This sewing table is made of wood and coated with between three and fifteen layers of fine black and gold lacquer. The sewing table was made in the early 19th century and is believed to have been an engagement gift from Stephen Decatur to his fiancée — a “Miss. King.” The King family passed the table down from generation to generation despite the couple not marrying. Stephen Decatur would go on to marry Susan Wheeler. The sewing table was made in China for the American market and originally had a silk bag attached to it, which was replaced with a mauve damask fabric in the 20th century. This table is a part of Decatur House Collection. In 2010, the White House Historical Association and National Trust entered into co-stewardship arrangement and Decatur House now serves as the David M. Rubenstein National Center for White House History.
  • Presentation Sword and Scabbard, Decatur House Collection
    William Rose
    Unknown
    furnishings
    swords
    Decatur House
    This sword and scabbard was presented to Commodore Stephen Decatur by the Commonwealth of Virginia following his capture of the Macedonia on October 25, 1812. The blade was created in Philadelphia by William Rose and features an ivory and parcel-gilt hilt topped with a cast eagle, silver gilt plate, and brass stripes on the edges, and inlaid with gold foliage and silver lettering. An inscription on the blade reads, “In testimony of the splendid naval talents and valor displayed by Commodore Stephen Decatur commanding the United States Frigate UNITED STATES in the capture of the English Frigate MACEDONIA 25th, October 1812.” The scabbard is made of gilt silver with cast-applied nautical decorations. This presentation sword and scabbard are a part of the collection at Decatur House. In 2010, the White House Historical Association and National Trust entered into co-stewardship arrangement and Decatur House now serves as the David M. Rubenstein National Center for White House History.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965.
  • Crowd at Johnson's Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, guests are seen exiting the event.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. This photograph was taken through a balustrade of the Executive Mansion.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. This photograph was taken through a balustrade of the Executive Mansion.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. This photograph was taken through a balustrade of the Executive Mansion.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, Johnson can be seen receiving his framed award.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, Johnson can be seen receiving his framed award.
  • Crowd at Johnson's Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, guests are seen exiting the event.
  • Johnson Speaks Award of Merit Ceremony
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, Johnson can be seen speaking at the podium.