This photograph of the west wall of the Green Room was taken in January 1972 during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. At the top of the wall is the 1767 London portrait of Benjamin Franklin painted by Scottish artist David Martin. It was the first significant work of art attained by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's Special Committee in 1962. Below this portrait hangs "Philadelphia in 1858", painted by Ferdinand Richardt. The left and right sides of this painting are surrounded by twin mahogany mirrored wall sconces. The Green Room is located on the State Floor of the Executive Mansion. It was the first room named after the color of its textiles and has Federal style furnishings. The elegant but relaxed parlor is used for small gatherings, interviews, and teas.
This photograph by Joseph J. Scherschel shows part of the arrival ceremony for President Georges Pompidou of France on February 24, 1970, whose visit occurred during the Richard M. Nixon administration. The two presidents can be seen on stage on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds. Pompidou's trip to the United States started on February 23, 1970 and ended on March 3, 1970. Prominent in the photograph are members of the military ceremonial guard who are present at arrival ceremonies.