Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

  • Blue Room, Nixon Administration
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Blue Room
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This photograph shows the Blue Room of the White House as it appeared following a renovation project by First Lady Pat Nixon in 1972. Mrs. Nixon was assisted by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.
  • Mrs. Nixon in the Newly Renovated Blue Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Blue Room
    renovation
    refurbishment
    In this photograph, taken on May 15, 1972, First Lady Pat Nixon beams proudly beside an early 19th-century marble mantel in the newly renovated Blue Room. Mrs. Nixon was assisted in her restoration project by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.
  • Blue Room, Nixon Administration
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Blue Room
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This photograph shows the Blue Room of the White House as it appeared following a renovation project by First Lady Pat Nixon in 1972. Mrs. Nixon was assisted by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.
  • Invitation for Reopening of the Blue Room (Page 2 of 2)
    Unknown
    invitation
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This invitation was created for guests of a reception held by President Richard M. Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon on May 15, 1972, on the occasion of the reopening of the Blue Room of the White House. The Blue Room had been closed since February 23, 1972, for a major refurbishment project. Mrs. Nixon spearheaded the project, and was assisted in the execution by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. As first lady, Mrs. Nixon also oversaw the refurbishment of eight additional rooms, as well as major renovations to the Map and China Rooms. To view the alternate side of the invitation, see 1123269.
  • Invitation for Reopening of the Blue Room (Page 1 of 2)
    Unknown
    invitation
    document
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This invitation was created for guests of a reception held by President Richard M. Nixon and First Lady Pat Nixon on May 15, 1972, on the occasion of the reopening of the Blue Room of the White House. The Blue Room had been closed since February 19, 1972, for a refurbishment project. Mrs. Nixon spearheaded the project, and was assisted in the execution by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. As first lady, Mrs. Nixon also oversaw the refurbishment of eight additional rooms, as well as major renovations to the Map and China Rooms. To view the alternate side of the invitation, see 1123270.
  • 1972 Blue Room Refurbishment and Receptions
    Unknown
    refurbishment
    renovation
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    This film collection features craftsmen preparing and adhering wallpaper to the Blue Room's walls and First Lady Pat Nixon's afternoon press conference to mark the official reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. The first part of the film featuring the craftsman is interspersed with footage of the South Grounds as seen from the Blue Room, as well as detail shots of the new plaster work on the ceiling. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by Mrs. Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room.
  • Blue Room, Nixon Administration
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Blue Room
    renovation
    refurbishment
    This photograph shows the Blue Room of the White House as it appeared following a renovation project by First Lady Pat Nixon in 1972. Mrs. Nixon was assisted by White House Curator Clement E. Conger and design consultant Edward Vason Jones. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia.
  • Craftsmen Hang Wallpaper during 1972 Blue Room Refurbishment
    Unknown
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    refurbishment
    renovation
    This film features clips of craftsmen preparing and adhering wallpaper to the Blue Room's walls during the 1972 refurbishment of the Blue Room. The Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972 during the renovation and was part of a larger project initiated by First Lady Pat Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. To see the full film, please see asset 1123268.
  • Pat Nixon Holds Press Preview of Blue Room Refurbishment
    Unknown
    Blue Room
    State Floor
    refurbishment
    renovation
    This film features clips from First Lady Pat Nixon's afternoon press conference to mark the official reopening of the Blue Room on May 15, 1972. The refurbished Blue Room’s style was inspired by the French Bellangé suite of furniture President James Monroe purchased for the room in 1817. The walls were covered with beige wallpaper, featuring an upper frieze with a flower and bowl design, and a lower border of pink flowers, cupids, and Greek figures. Blue curtains hung the length of the room. The room also included a new oval plaster design in the center of the ceiling completed by Herbert John Millard, a wood carver from Roswell, Georgia. During the renovation the Blue Room was closed from February 19, 1972, to May 15, 1972. The Blue Room's renovation was part of a larger project initiated by Mrs. Nixon to refurbish and renovate the White House's rooms and expand its collection. During her tenure as first lady, Mrs. Nixon acquired 600 paintings and furnishings for the White House Collection, and revamped the Red Room, Green Room, Map Room, and China Room. To see the full film, please see asset 1123268.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Eisenhower and Khrushchev Take Helicopter Tour of Washington, D.C.
    Unknown
    State Visit
    Head of State
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    transportation
    This photograph of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Soviet Premier Nikita Sergeevich Khrushchev was taken on September 15, 1959. In the photograph, President Eisenhower and Khrushchev can be seen disembarking a presidential helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds following an impromptu aerial tour of Washington, D.C. During the helicopter tour, the two flew over the National Mall, the monuments, and the local suburbs of Washington, D.C. Khrushchev's 12 day visit to the United States included visits to New York City, Hyde Park to pay respects to former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Los Angeles, San Francisco, corn farms in Iowa, Pittsburgh, Camp David, and Eisenhower’s farm at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
  • Convex Girandole Mirror, Green Room
    Unknown
    State Floor
    Green Room
    mirror
    sconce
    This convex girandole mirror with wall sconces was made circa 1820 in New York. The wooden frame features carvings of a large American eagle at the top and a smaller British lion at the base. The wood has been gilded with two candle sconces on either end of the base. The creator is unknown. The girandole is captured in the Green Room in a photograph taken in January 1972 by Nelson Brown, Victor Boswell, and Robert S. Oakes during the administration of Richard M. Nixon. It was added to the White House Collection in 1971.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • Federal Period Mirror, White House Collection
    Unknown
    mirror
    Family Dining Room
    State Floor
    This 19th century mirror was donated to the White House Collection in 1962 during the John F. Kennedy administration. The convex gilt mirror was made in the Federal style and features a carved bald eagle above the mirror glass. The piece was likely made in New York. Joseph J. Scherschel photographed the mirror in August 1965 in the Family Dining Room, seen reflected in the mirror. At the time, the mirror hung above the room's green and white marble mantelpiece.
  • President Eisenhower Departs from the Naval War College
    Unknown
    transportation
    Presidential Visit
    This photograph is of President Dwight D. Eisenhower in a Sikorsky helicopter before departing from the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, on September 7, 1957. The helicopter took him from the Naval War College to Quonset Naval Air Station, where Columbine III was waiting for him. Maj. V. D. Olson of the U.S. Marine Corps piloted the helicopter.
  • The Eisenhowers with Grandaughter, Mary Jean Eisenhower
    Unknown
    First Family
    This photograph of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and First Lady Mamie Doud Eisenhower was taken at the White House on Christmas Day in 1956. The President and Mrs. Eisenhower are seen holding their youngest grandchild, Mary Jean Eisenhower.
  • The Eisenhowers Enjoy Christmas Dinner
    Unknown
    State Dining Room
    Christmas
    First Family
    Holidays
    This photograph is of the Eisenhower family enjoying Christmas dinner in the State Dining Room of the White House in 1960. Seated at the table are President Dwight D. Eisenhower, First Lady Mamie Doud Eisenhower, their son John S. D. Eisenhower, and several grandchildren.
  • Easter Egg Roll, Eisenhower Administration
    Unknown
    Easter Egg Roll
    children
    holidays
    South Lawn
    This photograph of guests at the Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House was taken on April 6, 1953. Although not pictured, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his family were among the crowd attending the day's festivities. Dating back to 1878, the Easter Egg Roll is a cherished springtime tradition in Washington, D.C., with children and their families gathering to enjoy festivities on the South Lawn.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965.
  • Crowd at Johnson's Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. In this photograph, guests are seen exiting the event.
  • Johnson Receives Award of Merit in the Rose Garden
    Unknown
    Rose Garden
    ceremony
    This photograph was taken overlooking an event in the Rose Garden on June 3, 1966. At the event, President Lyndon B. Johnson was presented the award of merit from the National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSC) by the organization's president, John W. Edelman. The council, reorganized and reformed in 2000 as the Alliance for Retired Americans, was an organization for retired trade union members created in 1961 following the first White House Conference on Aging and with support from the AFL-CIO. The organization of the NCSC grew from the quickly growing focus and needs of the aging, including healthcare. NCSC was influential in the passing of the Social Security Act Amendments which, among other things, established Medicare. President Johnson signed the amendments on July 30, 1965. This photograph was taken through a balustrade of the Executive Mansion.