George Washington Inspects the Unfinished President's House
N. C. Wyeth
This color print by N. C. Wyeth (often known as Newell Convers Wyeth) depicts George Washington inspecting the unfinished President's House with architect James Hoban. The print was created by Wyeth as part of a series of patriotic posters for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
This photograph shows President Theodore Roosevelt behind his desk speaking to his private secretary, William Loeb, Jr. The photograph was taken at the president's office in the West Wing. On November 5, 1902, Roosevelt became the first president to work from an office in the West Wing. Though the West Wing was built in 1902 during Roosevelt's time in office, the Oval Office was not built until 1909, during William H. Taft's administration. The rectangular room selected by Theodore Roosevelt as his office was expanded and replaced by a conference room in 1934. In 1969, the room that occupies the space was renamed the "Roosevelt Room" to honor the contributions of presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin D. Roosevelt in the creation and expansion of the West Wing. The original print for this image was a silver gelatin stereocard.
This political cartoon by Clifford K. Berryman shows a teddy bear, representative of President Theodore Roosevelt, pondering the question, "To Go or Not to Go?" It is dated March 2, 1909, which is two days before his term as president ended, and is emphasized by the moving van loading crates in the background. The crates read, "T.R. Africa" and "T.R. Africa/Handle With Care." This is likely in reference to the Africa expedition Roosevelt took just after he left office on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution to expand its holdings.
Theodore Roosevelt's First Cabinet Meeting in the New Executive Offices
This photograph shows President Theodore Roosevelt holding his first cabinet meeting in the new Cabinet Room in the West Wing on November 6, 1902. After the Roosevelt renovations, the Cabinet Room moved from the Second Floor of the Executive Mansion into the newly built West Wing.
Last Meeting of President Theodore Roosevelt's Cabinet
Harris & Ewing
This photograph by Harris & Ewing shows President Theodore Roosevelt holding the final cabinet meeting of his administration. The meeting took place in the Cabinet Room, located in the West Wing. During Roosevelt's administration, he oversaw a large renovation that included the addition of the West Wing and this room.
This photograph by Frances Benjamin Johnston shows Archie and Quentin Roosevelt, President Theodore Roosevelt's youngest sons, standing in an inspection line with uniformed guards near the White House.
President Lincoln with Gen. George B. McClellan with Officers in Antietam
This photograph of President Lincoln standing among a group of soldiers during the Civil War was taken by Alexander Gardner on October 3, 1862. The photograph was taken on the grounds on the Battle of Antietam, which took place in northwestern Maryland on September 17, 1862 and is considered the bloodiest day-long battle in American history. Standing, from left to right, are: Col. Delos B. Sacket, I.G.; Capt. George Monteith; Lt. Col. Nelson B. Sweitzer; Gen. George W. Morell; Col. Alexander S. Webb, Chief of Staff, 5th Corps.; Gen. George B. McClellan; Scout Adams; Dr. Jonathan Letterman, Army Medical Doctor; unknown soldier; President Lincoln; Gen. Henry J. Hunt; Gen. Fitz-John Porter; unknown soldier; Col. Frederick T. Locke, A.A.G.; Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys; Capt. George Armstrong Custer. The original photograph was a glass negative, wet collodion print.
This portrait photograph of a young Mary Todd Lincoln was taken between 1846-1847, around the time she and Congressman-elect Abraham Lincoln were moving to Washington, D.C. for the first time. The couple had been married for five years when Lincoln was elected to represent the 7th district of Illinois in the United States House of Representatives.
This photograph by Frances Benjamin Johnston shows Theodore Roosevelt III, referred to as "Jr." and son of President Theodore Roosevelt, with his pet macaw, Eli Yale. The macaw's namesake, Elihu Yale, was the benefactor for Yale University.
This painting of President Abraham Lincoln was created by R. D. Bayley. The painting depicts Lincoln showing abolitionist Sojourner Truth a bible gifted to him by African Americans from Baltimore, Maryland. Bayley completed the painting on October 29, 1864. The image of the painting is mounted on a cabinet card.
This photograph by Frances Benjamin Johnston show Theodore Roosevelt III, son of President Theodore Roosevelt and referred to as "Jr.", posing with his blue macaw, Eli Yale. The macaw's namesake, Elihu Yale, was the benefactor for Yale University.
This photograph of President Abraham Lincoln and Tad Lincoln was taken on February 9, 1864 by photographer Anthony Berger of the Brady Studio in Washington, D.C. In this portrait photograph, President Lincoln and his youngest son look at an album of preeminent photographer Mathew Brady's photographs.