President's Dining Room, John F. Kennedy Administration
This photograph of the newly installed Zuber & Cie wallpaper was taken by Robert L. Knudsen on May 3, 1962, during the John F. Kennedy administration. The wallpaper depicts scenes from the American Revolution against the backdrop of natural landmarks. Behind the screen is the entrance to the newly created Family Kitchen. The President's Dining Room is located on the Second Floor of the Executive Mansion in the northwest corner. The President's Dining Room was originally a bedroom referred to as the Prince of Wales Room after the 1860 visit of Edward Albert, Queen Victoria's son who would later become King Edward VII. It was not until the Kennedy administration that the room became the President's Dining Room and main eating room for the first family.