Are you sure you want to delete this item? Are you sure you want to delete these 0 items?

Share

Download

Oops! Something went wrong! It doesn't appear to have affected your data. Please notify your system administrator if the problem persists. Access denied
Your session was expired. Page will be reloaded.

Processing...

Your assets are ready. If the download does not start automatically, click Download.

Add assets to album

White House Gardens and Grounds

  • Rose Garden, Johnson Administration
    James P. Blair
    South Grounds
    Rose Garden
    flowers
    This photograph of the Rose Garden was taken by James P. Blair on April 11, 1966, during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration. The Rose Garden is located on the west side of the South Grounds, just outside the Oval Office. It has gone through several incarnations: a vegetable garden in the first part of the 19th century, a “colonial” garden in 1902, and was replaced with a rose garden in 1913. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy wanted to expand the garden for official functions and events. His idea became the Rose Garden, designed by horticulturist, gardener, and close friend of the Kennedys, Rachel Lambert Mellon. The garden was installed the following year, becoming a green theater for official ceremonies and a special place for the first family’s private enjoyment.
  • Rose Garden, Johnson Administration
    James P. Blair
    South Grounds
    Rose Garden
    flowers
    This photograph of tulips in the Rose Garden was taken by James P. Blair on April 11, 1966, during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration. The Rose Garden is located on the west side of the South Grounds, just outside the Oval Office. It has gone through several incarnations: a vegetable garden in the first part of the 19th century, a “colonial” garden in 1902, and was replaced with a rose garden in 1913. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy wanted to expand the garden for official functions and events. His idea became the Rose Garden, designed by horticulturist, gardener, and close friend of the Kennedys, Rachel Lambert Mellon. The garden was installed the following year, becoming a green theater for official ceremonies and a special place for the first family’s private enjoyment.
  • Irvin Williams Tends to Chinese Redbud Tree
    James P. Blair
    staff
    South Grounds
    flowers
    In this photograph Head Gardener Irvin Williams tends to a flowering Chinese Redbud tree on the South Grounds of the White House in April 1966. In 1961 the Kennedys selected Williams to assist in the installation of the new Rose Garden. Williams would later be promoted to Superintendent of the Grounds and go on to serve eight more presidents before retiring in 2008. This photograph, was taken during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration by James P. Blair.
  • Irvin Williams Tends to Tulips on the South Grounds
    James P. Blair
    staff
    South Grounds
    flowers
    In this photograph Head Gardener Irvin Williams tends to tulips in the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden. In 1961 the Kennedys selected Williams to assist in the installation of the new Rose Garden. Williams would later be promoted to Superintendent of the Grounds and go on to serve eight more presidents before retiring in 2008. The Jacqueline Kennedy Garden is located on the east side of the South Grounds, just outside the East Wing. Also referred to as the East Garden, the garden was dedicated to Mrs. Kennedy in 1965. James P. Blair took this photograph in April 1966, during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration.
  • Irvin Williams Tends to Tulips on the South Grounds
    James P. Blair
    staff
    South Lawn
    South Grounds
    flowers
    This photograph is of Head Gardener Irvin William tending to the tulips surrounding the fountain on the South Lawn of the White House. In 1961 the Kennedys selected Williams to assist in the installation of the new Rose Garden. Williams would later be promoted to Superintendent of the Grounds and go on to serve eight more presidents before retiring in 2008. James P. Blair took this photograph in April 1966, during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration.
  • South Portico in Autumn
    William Phillips
    White House
    south view
    This digital photograph by William Phillips shows the South Portico of the White House. It was taken during George W. Bush's presidency (2001-2009).
  • Sugar Maple on South Drive
    Erik Kvalsvik
    south grounds
    This photograph of the south driveway was taken by Erik Kvalsvik in 1996. It shows a sugar maple along the south driveway in full fall color, with Nellie Stevens hollies nearby. The fountain is planted with canna lilies and scarlet salvia. The White House Grounds are an arboretum, and maples are maintained throughout the grounds.
  • Exterior of the West Wing, Johnson Administration
    Albert Moldvay
    West Wing
    South Grounds
    Oval Office
    This photograph shows the exterior of the West Wing in the fall. A tree ceremonially planted by President Lyndon B. Johnson is highlighted. The West Wing was constructed as "temporary executive office buildings" during Theodore Roosevelt's administration in 1902. In 1909, the West Wing was expanded and doubled in size during the William H. Taft administration. The expansion saw the construction of the Oval Office. In 1930, during the Herbert Hoover administration, the West Wing had to be rebuilt due to a fire that broke out on Christmas Eve. The current incarnation of the West Wing was completed in 1934 during the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. The wing was expanded from 15,000 to 40,000 square feet with a "penthouse" story and an enlarged subterranean office area with a light well added to the complex. The Oval Office was relocated to the West Wing’s southeast corner.
  • East Garden, Johnson Administration
    Robert S. Oakes
    Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
    flower
    This photograph shows the East Garden in October of 1964, during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration. On April 22, 1965, the garden would be dedicated the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden. Mrs. Kennedy designed the garden with horticulturist, gardener, and friend of the Kennedys, Rachel Lambert Mellon. In the fall, chrysanthemums and flowering kale added color to the garden until early winter. The garden notably features a pergola designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei.
  • White House Exterior, South Side IV
    Theodor Horydczak
    south view
    This photograph by Theodor Horydczak shows a south view of the White House. The photographer was positioned to the west of the South Portico, which puts a tree in full spring bloom at the center of the image.
  • Amy, Jason, and Jimmy Carter in Their Tree House on the South Lawn
    Unknown
    First Family
    South Lawn
    This is a photograph of President Jimmy Carter playing with his daughter Amy and grandson Jason in their South Lawn tree house was taken in 1977. Amy was the youngest of Carter's four children, and lived at the White House throughout her father's presidency.
  • Tree Planting Ceremony
    Bill Fitz-Patrick
    North Lawn
    tree planting
    This photograph of a tree planting ceremony on the White House North Lawn was taken by Bill Fitz-Patrick in November 1977. While First Lady Rosalynn Carter looked on, President Jimmy Carter planted a red maple from his home state of Georgia, taking part in a longstanding tradition of tree planting by presidents.
  • Vista from White House South Portico to Washington Monument
    Erik Kvalsvik
    Jefferson Memorial
    south view
    Washington Monument
    South Portico
    This color photograph shows the view from the State Floor of the South Portico looking south during the administration of President Bill Clinton. The view south from the White House encompasses the South Lawn, the Washington Monument, and the Jefferson Memorial. Although the three landmarks were intended to be on axis, the monument was moved to higher ground within the National Mall, putting it slightly off the north-south line between the White House and the Jefferson Memorial.
  • Drawing of the North side and grounds of the White House
    Rodica Prato
    drawings & plans
    north view
    This digital illustration shows the landscape of the north view of the White House and the grounds up to Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • North View and Grounds
    Tina Hager
    White House
    north view
    This photograph of the North Grounds of the White House was taken by Tina Hager in 1997, during Bill Clinton's presidency (1993-2001).
  • North Front of the White House
    Unknown
    White House
    north view
    This black and white photograph shows a north view of the White House with both the driveway and the Jefferson statue on display. The statue of Thomas Jefferson was commissioned by Navy Lieutenant Uriah Levy and sculpted in France by Pierre-Jean David d’Angers. It was removed from the White House grounds in in 1874 and placed first in National Statuary Hall and then in the Rotunda, both of which are in the Capitol Building.
  • Rose Garden in Bloom
    Bruce White
    South View
    South Grounds
    This photograph of the Rose Garden with blooming flowers was taken by Bruce White for the White House Historical Association on May 30, 2013.
  • East Garden
    Unknown
    Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
    This photograph shows the colonial East Garden, designed by First Lady Edith Roosevelt, shortly after its completion. The East Garden is now called the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden.
  • Florist Outside the East Tradesman Entrance
    Samantha Appleton
    State Dinner
    staff
    This photograph of a florist preparing floral arrangements for a State Dinner was taken by White House photographer Samantha Appleton. The State Dinner was held on May 19, 2010 in honor of Mexican Felipe Calderon and his wife, Margarita Zavala. The florist is working outside the East Tradesman Entrance to the White House.
  • President Barack Obama Plants a Linden Tree
    Chuck Kennedy
    ceremony
    North Grounds
    tree planting
    This photograph of President Barack Obama was taken by White House photographer Chuck Kennedy. In the photograph, President Obama shovels dirt onto a linden tree being planted near the North Drive of the White House Grounds. The ceremony took place on October 28, 2009.
  • East Garden
    Frances Benjamin Johnston
    Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
    This hand-colored photograph by Frances Benjamin Johnston shows the East Garden as it appeared in 1921. The East Garden is now called the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden.
  • Bo on the North Lawn
    Chuck Kennedy
    North Lawn
    This is a photograph of Bo, President Barack Obama's Portuguese water dog posing for a picture on the South Lawn of the White House.
  • View from the South Steps of the White House
    Bruce White
    South Lawn
    Washington Monument
    Jefferson Memorial
    This photograph is of the view from the White House looking south over the South Grounds and the Mall with the Jefferson Memorial visible in the distance. The Washington Monument, in the upper third of the image, is surrounded by scaffolding during repair work.
  • Detail of an Old Cork Tree on the South Grounds
    Bruce White
    South Grounds
    This is a close-up of an old cork tree on the South Grounds of the White House. The unusual bark may be an indicator of its advanced age. This photograph was taken by Bruce White for the White House Historical Association on May 17, 2012.
  • Queen Elizabeth II and President Bush Plant Little-Leaf Linden
    Unknown
    ceremony
    South Grounds
    tree planting
    This photograph captures Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain as she and President George H. W. Bush plant a little-leaf linden tree on the South Lawn of the White House Grounds in May 1991. Queen Elizabeth visited the White House as part of an official State Visit. She planted the tree to replace the one her father, King George VI, planted in 1937 that was lost due to a storm in September 1990. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Elizabeth's husband, and First Lady Barbara Bush observe the ceremony from afar.